02/20/2012 - 12:00pm - 1:00pm
117 Old Genetics
ComETS Steering Committee
Present: Doug Worsham, Sarah McDaniel, Andy Speth, John Thomson, Catherine Stephens, Rosemary Bodolay, Ron Cramer
Guests: Alan Ng, Lisa Jansen
- 12:00 - 12:05: Agenda Overview
- 12:05 - 12:10: Welcome and introductions
- 12:10 - 12:15: Questions and comments on updates
- 12:15 - 12:50: Discussion
- 12:50 - 1:00: Review Action Items and upcoming plans
- Updates from Sub-committees and ComETS Members
- Any questions about the updates?
- John will be stepping off of the Steering Committee at some point, though he will stay on the web team and possibly events
- Catherine starting as "next chair"
- Room 117 Old Genetics is opened from 11-12 prior to Steering Committee meetings for ComETS group meetings and conversations.
- Mem n Com.
- External Relations
- Will continue to meet. First agenda item is to answer the questions raised in the ComETs self-examination since December: exactly how should we meet the goal of "defining efficient ways to maintain ongoing relationships" and to discover new ones?
- Alan - May not have time to meet by the March deadline
- Not a problem - it’s not a hard deadline
- ComETS in 2012 Mode Proposal - Check-In -
- See Google Doc: http:/go.wisc.edu/tw7179
- Monthly meeting, 1 hour. Skip busiest months (Jan, Aug)
- Arrange special meetings as necessary, sub-committee work, and/or other projects
- 6 month subcommittee reports to the community with goal statements
- Allow sub-committee chairs to determine their own meeting schedules, etc.
- Since subcommittees won’t always meet before the Steering Committee, how will those updates be gotten?
- Call for updates before each Steering Committee meeting.
- Maybe redefine expectations for subcommittee chairs as needing to attend Steering Committee meetings or provide updates
- One of the goals is to increase communication/attendance
- The one hour length will hopefully make it easier to attend
- Yes / No vote
- Educational Innovation - what conversations do we need to host and be involved with? Host a brown-bag? Encourage a blog fest?
- From Friday's ITC meeting: informal idea of using ComETs to reach out to grassroots level of faculty/departments to explain Educational Innovation (this is Alan N’s interpretation of what Katrina said).
- Update from ITC (Lisa)
- Lisa brought up that some IT staff feel left out of the discussion. Faculty at the meetings were taking a “wait and see” stance, but the message from Aaron Brower and Jeff Russell is to not wait and be proactive
- Important to note that there’s incentive now - keep some of the savings
- The message is “tell us what it takes”. Probably whoever asks first will get access to the resources, latecomers may miss out
- Perhaps what ComETS can help with is to check the feasibility/scalability of some of the ideas flying around
- Scaling/aligning/collaborating/leveraging were the keywords of the meeting (mentioned in the Chancellor’s video too)
- It’s not about one-offs for one class - the goal is scalability: degrees, certificates, etc.
- March 1st and 2nd, Ron and Aaron McClosky (spelling?) are having a faculty panel with people that do fully online courses and some blended learning
- What’s next? - We haven’t received a satisfactory answer about this
- We don’t have an organizing principle other than the Chancellor and Aaron Brower saying that we want this at a program/department level
- How are we going to organize people around that?
- The Chancellor wants this to be a grassroots approach
- But this may be too grassroots for now
- There aren’t that many people in a position to think about, deal with the challenge - most expertise is on residential learning
- Can’t be too top-down either
- After the incubator sessions we’ll have some more answers, but will probably still have some big questions
- What, as the Steering Committee, should we advocate for to help our membership?
- Sarah - have some possible scenarios as conversation starters to see how different groups react
- Alan Ng - the Engage Gaming Game - it’s to foster thought about how to manage resources/scenarios
- Culture shift, away from the typical models
- It requires a high-up view to be able to see which departments would function well online, not just by class structure, but also as compared to what’s offered online at other universities
- How will the campus support these efforts? Release time maybe? What else?
- Katrina made a comment of how ComETS could be used for this
- Alan - giving a presentation soon. Faculty are asking the wrong questions - they’re anxious because they don’t know the requirements - they want tools, examples. Business Reqiurements Analysis says that’s the wrong approach - grasping at solutions before identifying the solution
- Catherine - reducing barriers. Maybe ComETS can help reduce the barriers to online learning
- If we answer those questions, faculty will be more confident
- A couple safe assumptions:
- 1. ComETS will need an opportunity to talk through things as they stand
- Events - put together a small series of events to discuss Educational Innovation
- Maybe in the 11-noon time before Steering
- Maybe present some possible scenarios, lead some conversations
- Maybe Aaron would help us write some scenarios
- 2. Gap between where we are and where we need to be
- We can advocate for bringing professional development opportunities to the membership, identify areas for improvement
- Ron - that conversation is beginning. Karen Tusack is meeting with Jeff Russell and Carole about the need for development in online learning.
- It would be helpful to have someone there from ComETS Steering
- DCS is one of several professional development opportunities to seek out
- Format for ITC updates re Teaching and Learning
- Feedback on process / gathering topics for Lisa/Mike to share.
- Approach - anyone have feedback for Lisa?
- If you have ideas, contact Lisa
- The week before the ITC meeting people from various groups meet to see the topics from the different groups.
- The email will come from whoever presented that day
- Mike and Lisa are both liaisons
- Since Lisa isn’t part of Steering now, would we want someone else?
- Now we have a better community-wide idea of what’s going on
- This sounds like External Relations work. That could be an ER meeting - squishing everything into 15 minutes could be something for them to help with
- Annual Meeting -
- Shaping the Conversations - reflect on themes
- Doug posted all the answers given
- Wordle comparison - Steering talks about the community, but the community is most interested in learning
- Survey Results - Report
- John - the feedback was good
- Doug - look at the survey results and incorporate them into the blogpost
- Feedback / Ideas
- Lots of positive feedback on the award, and the people who put that together
- In the future really try to pull people not from the inner circle
- Doug - what is the home for that effort? Some combination of Community and Events? Its own group?
- Sarah would be interested in working on the award
- Alan - poke the External Relations committee each time to ask for nominations
- We got a good list of nominations, but from only 3-4 people
- Topics to carry forward
- Assessment Group - Should we try to re-start the Assessment Group to tackle questions like data based decision making? Is this a conversation we should try to host in the coming year?
- Potential function of Mem N Com group
- Focusing on what are the most important questions for us over the year
- Original assessment group was Sarah, Lindsey, and a couple others. Sarah has been talking with Brian McNurlen to get the group restarted (there will be a new evaluator hired soon in AT)
- Sarah to set up a meeting with Brian and the new AT evaluation person once there is one
- We heard March 2nd for the new hire
- Membership / Events / Web groups - How to create more interaction around community groups - some groups post blog entries, but these can get lost. Encourage community groups to post events, blog entries *and* arrive at a workflow to share out ComETS communications each week ?
- Asking Mem & Com to tackle this and come up with a proposal
- The group hasn’t met in a while
- Chair update - Catherine will be moving into the "current chair" position in July. We'll need a new "next chair" at that time. What's the best process for recruiting?
- Let’s start recruiting now rather than later
- Who might want to rotate in?
- We should also be looking at new members for Steering since John is rotating off, and leadership for the Events group
- Catherine - talked with Bruce Maas last week - he brought up that there’s money from the CIO to support leadership
- Lisa - meeting with George Watson right after this to talk about that
- Looking at 4 charters under Charter 7 - he has money set aside for training
- If we have input for Bruce about common subsidized training that IT staff should have...
Review status of actions items from previous
- Organize an Educause remote session (requires $500 registration and a location) on campus]
- Set up an event planning team for "Partnering with faculty and staff to address the achievement gap". Partners: Advisors, Academic Planning, Enrollment Management, DoIT AT, staff supporting innovation, other ?. Catherine can report on recent meeting hosted by Joanne Berg, Lil and Catherine.
- set up a event planning committee over the summer for Campus Landscape event
- Discussion at ELI of Future Assessment Event
- Representing ComETS: what it means
- Ron - Recommendations for new lead for Accessibility Community Group?